How you will benefit from this training
About 700,000 people in the UK live with autism. This will include your employees, colleagues, customers, pupils and service users. There are many harmful misconceptions about autism. Our Autism Awareness Training aims to give participants a basic understanding of how people with autism relate to the world around them.
Toucan Diversity Training offers different perspectives from 2 trainers who use their personal experiences of the condition.
They give examples of the various coping strategies that have helped them as individuals.
- Autism is a developmental disability that affects how a person experiences the world and so relates to the people around them. As a result, it can be harder for those with autism to participate in daily family, work or social life.
- Autism is usually diagnosed by a multi-disciplinary diagnostic team, including speech and language therapists.
- Over the years, the condition has been given many different diagnostic labels. Due to the recent changes to diagnostic manuals, ‘autism spectrum disorder’ is likely to become the most commonly used diagnostic term.
- The exact cause of autism is still being investigated.
- There are many misconceptions and misunderstandings about autism, partly due to the fact that it is an invisible disability.
- About 700,000 people in the UK who live with the condition.
- It affects more men than women.
Meet our trainers
- To discuss own experiences of living with autism
- To discuss the experiences of autism from a parent’s and sibling’s perspective
- To identify the various traits linked to autism and how they affect a person’s life
- To identify effective ways of dealing with autism
- PowerPoint presentation
- Video work
Training duration: 1 hour
Group size: 20 maximum
Toucan Diversity Training is a proudly user-led organisation that specialises in raising awareness for issues surrounding disability.
Our Disability Confident Leader accreditation means you can be sure you will be receiving the best training for your company.
All participants will be awarded a certificate of attendance.